Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goals

I am generally not one for New Year's resolutions, but I do think I'd like to set some goals for 2012.  And I think having them out there on the world wide web will be helpful in keeping me accountable :)

Health/Fitness Goals
  1. Exercise every day for one month.  Starting tomorrow.  I really need to get back into the swing of things.  So even if I just walk a mile, I'll be better off than doing nothing.  P and I got a new treadmill (yay!!) for Christmas, so that should make things a little easier!  Once I've reestablished the habit, I can evaluate my specific running goals - namely another half and:
  2. PR the 10K.  I want to run another half, but I highly doubt I'll be speedy enough to set a new PR.  The 10K might be the perfect distance, and there are many more to choose from over the course of the year.
  3. Increase my strength training - I have a vacation planned in June and my sister's wedding in August!! I want my arms to look toned and I need to tighten my core - I bought a Groupon for hot yoga, and am excited to try it.
  4. Join a running group.  I've had my eye on one for a couple of years now but then I got pregnant and it didn't seem like the right time to join.  I talked to P, and he's okay with me heading out on Sunday mornings for group runs.  Now I just have to actually work up the courage to go!
  5. Drink more water.  I've been so bad lately about getting enough water.  I also need to quit my diet Coke habit, but I'm not quite there yet.  It's my very guilty pleasure.  
Life Goals
  1. Mindfulness.  I think by nature of being female (and especially as a mom) I multitask as much as possible.  If I'm making dinner, I'm folding laundry or feeding Pete or emptying the dishwasher or just thinking about a million other things.  I've started trying to practice mindfulness when nursing Pete.  I used to bring my phone with me or try and sneak in a few pages of a book, but now I just sit and relax and savor the moment.  And I swear, he can tell.  It feels good and probably benefits both of us!
  2. Establish a budget and stick to it.  Since cutting my hours to part time, things are a little tight. I think we're okay, but I miss my full time paycheck and the sense of security that went with it.  I need to try and pick up some overtime shifts so I can relax a little bit - and take some pressure off P.  I've heard good things about Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University and while I might not be into the religion aspect, I think his budgeting is credible?  I've also been looking at mint.com but I'm not sure how I feel about giving up all my financial information.
  3. Menu Planning.  I really want to try and do this. I think it would help with budgeting, and it would save me a lot of aggravation during the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment