Sunday, June 21, 2009

Daddy's Girl ...

I don't know where to begin. I should start by saying that P has always been a bit squeamish when it comes to blood and hospitals and all related things. He hates hospitals and has passed out when seeing blood in the past. When I was in nursing school, he would get kinda grossed out if I told him a story, so he started watching Discovery Health to help get him used to what he'd be hearing about ... so cute.

The day that Brienna was born, I was nervous for him that he'd be majorly freaked out. How wrong I was ... when my water broke (and then continued to break), I was slightly mortified. It just wouldn't stop and it's kinda gross if you think about it. I was embarrassed and generally would have just done everything myself, but couldn't because not only was I nine months pregnant and not really able to bend over, I was having some pretty intense contractions. So, I had to swallow my pride and let P help. And he did. He cleaned up for me, he cleaned me, he helped me change and was just great ... he held my hair back while I got sick and just tended to me and made me feel like it was all okay ...

Then Brienna was born and I was just blown away ... I don't know what I expected, but P was just so incredible with her. I think it's hard/different for any father because they don't have nine months of a baby inside them to bond and prepare. I was nervous for P because I knew that he might have to say hello and goodbye at the same time and I just wasn't sure how he'd handle it ... he keeps his emotions very close to his heart and we'd never been in a situation like this before ... but he was just incredible. I couldn't stop staring at the two of them.

P has two webbed toes on each of his feet. His entire family on his dad's side does ... as he and Sue were bathing Brienna, I heard him start laughing and he called over, "Laus, her feet are webbed exactly like mine!" He was crying and laughing and I started crying and laughing and it just made me so happy that they shared that. She was truly a daddy's girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment