Sunday, August 30, 2009

Background Info

I created this blog to track my progress as I train for the Seacoast Half Marathon on November 8, 2009. My sister Kristen and I are running in memory of my daughter, Brienna Marie. Brienna suffered from Trisomy 18 - a chromosomal abnormality - and was born still on June 2, 2009. My husband Patrick and I knew by the 18th week of my pregnancy she had T18, but hoped and prayed that we would have even just a few moments with her ... the five hours we spent holding her, rocking her and loving her were the greatest, saddest, happiest five hours of my life. I miss my sweet baby girl more than I could ever express in words.

I want to ensure that Brienna's legacy lives on. She taught me more about love in the 41 weeks she was in my belly than any other person I know. She touched so many lives, and I am so proud of her. Running this half marathon is hopefully just the start of many races to come, all in her memory.

My running background is nothing special. I played sports in high school, ran track all 4 years and ran in college (for fun, not competitively), but ended up with ITBS my sophomore year. It has plagued me ever since. I had surgery back in 2000 to try and correct it, but it's just never been great. Every time I get over 3-4 miles, I end up in pain and have to stop my training. I almost always increase my mileage too quickly, so this time I'm trying to be smart. It will be a true test of my patience!

Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment